Friday, January 11, 2008

Serenity now!



Serenity now! Serenity now! SERENITY NOW!!!

You know, it doesn't matter how you say it, it doesn't really work. Although I have to say that remembering this classic Seinfeld scene always makes me a laugh.

Not quite what I was looking for at 4am this morning when I lay awake and could not switch my brain off. A never-ending stream of thoughts of family disagreements, work and future study issues. None of which are very serious or pressing but, nonetheless, I couldn't stop turning various scenarios over and over in my mind. I was playing the rumination game.

Once started, it can be very difficult to stop. Rumination can be a positive thing. It can boost mood when it focuses on pleasant memories and mentally running through issues can help generate solutions to problems for some. However, the flip side is that it can also increase focus on negative thoughts and even impair problem-solving, particularly in the setting of depression.

Often people try to interrupt the rumination process by thought stopping but that's never worked well for me. The more I try to not think of something, the more it pops into my head. Another commonly prescribed method of interrupting rumination involves the use of distraction techniques, simply diverting attention to something else whether it be an activity like going for a walk or reading a book.

I got up, dug out the Serenity Now! Seinfeld episode and guess what? I finally got serenity.

Hope you enjoy the clip.

4 comments:

PG said...

Good find on the clip! I definitely ruminate too much. I'm not so sure about that thought stopping technique. Occasionally, distraction works.

Dr. A said...

Love this clip! I did this scene in my office once, and no one knew what I was talking about. I crawled back to my office in embarrassment. Oh well...

SnowLite said...

I loved that and was just the right medicine for me to get a chuckle before going to sleep at 5 am!

I am so stressed about my mother but feel major guilt for posting publicly . i typed for the last few hours venting and probably seem like this God awful daughter and ...well I guess all we can do is our best. Sigh!

I love George's parents - great clip! Serenity Now...maybe if I say it 100 times? :)

Dr. Deb said...

Dear HP,

Hubby and I LOVE LOVE LOVE Seinfeld, and when we have a really rotten day we shout out "Serenity Now".

And did you know that many celebrate Festivus here in the states.