Thursday, April 14, 2011

So long Spud

There was talk in the media last week about a study that showed women care more about their dogs than they do their partners. Of course, it wasn't a serious study, just a survey of pet owners, see here if you're interested to read more. I thought how threatened must PracticalMan be living in a house of three dogs?

Well, today that number shrunk to two as we made the difficult decision to put our beloved golden retriever Spud (noble sounding name I know) to sleep. At the grand old age of nearly 15, and we'd hoped he would make it, Spud suddenly deteriorated overnight. As hard a decision as it was to make, it' was obvious that there was no alternative if we wanted to spare him any suffering.

The Dish (daughter, for new readers) is devastated. Spud had been there every minute of her life. Lifelong friends, they've shared many happy moments together. Spud made me feel safe when PracticalMan was away even though he'd have made any intruder his new best friend. At our previous house, Spud was very smart at finding new ways to escape the back yard but it was never hard to find him. We knew we'd find him at the local shops, curled up under a cafe table, gladly receiving any titbits anyone cared to throw his way. Being such a gorgeous looking dog, he got plenty.

So long dear friend.

Spud, gone walkies.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww...rest in peace Spud. I wonder whether I could ever have a pet because losing them would be too hard...

HP said...

Thanks, PsychBabbler. This is the second one this year but both had a good, long life. We still have four though...

shrink on the couch said...

Very sorry for your family's loss. Spud lived a long life with a family who loved him. I hope you all can take comfort in that, especially your daughter.

Dr. Deb said...

Oh, this is SO very sad to learn. My heart goes out to you all.

a.t. sorsa said...

Very sorry to hear about Spud! I hope that your summer (or is it winter there)has been better... Lots of hugs!!

Debi said...

I have just found your blog. As a lifelong dog owner, I am very sorry for the loss of Spuds, your pal. I recently had a scare with my 9 year old beagle. He was in ICU for 5 days and had an exploratory surgery to relieve an obstruction. He is out now and I had my best friend back for my birthday. To say that this was a bad experience is putting it lightly. I am giving him three antibiotics plus other medication. Did you ever get another dog, since this happened a while ago? I have lost other dogs and that is the best medicine, however, I will be honest, one cannot replace the other. Hopefully, my dog will last as long as Spuds!